Thursday, January 29, 2015

Losing My Mojo and Health

Hi :)

I'm back. I've tried to be back before, but, 2013 saw the start of my writing mojo drain, partly from health and partly from stress. I had an editor tell me, and tear my work apart for 40 pages then tell me to figure the rest out on my own and they weren't going to edit the rest, that unrelated clauses were comma splices. I spent hours and hours searching and never found any sites that said it that were independent from this person. I felt stupid, but I learned about comma splices, fused sentences, and run ons like you wouldn't believe. (For the record, a comma splice is ONLY one thing: Two INDEPENDENT CLAUSES, related or not, that are joined by only a comma. Period. There is no other comma splices. You run into kissing cousins of fused sentences (two complete sentences with no punctuation) or run ons (two sentences with a conjunction word but no comma), but there is only one comma splice.). However, that feeling that maybe I'm stupid stayed with me. The stresses and drama kept going.

Then, on top of that, my health declined. I nearly died June 26, 2013 from my asthma and allergies from living where we were. I started finding a way to leave the house for 4 hours a day, nearly every day, and made it through the summer of 2014 without getting that ill. However, in January of 2015, after leaving that house for good, I'm still fighting chest issues from living there. It makes me slow, tired, can be cranky, etc. I do have a doctor's appointment in February (move caused me to need a new clinic so had to wait.). I can't wait. In the meantime, I'm still waaayy better than I had been before, despite the sore throat and tight chest that sets off my asthma rather easily.

I work on being positive, and for the most part, I manage on my social media and even at home. I am painting more, doing more crafts, and yes, even writing more. Not where I used to be, but, in the midst of the years of illness, I found solace in editing. Maybe I couldn't find the imagination to write like I used to, but at least I was helping others.

Now, I've pulled eleven of my books from the old publisher. I've re-released The Ulfric's Mate, the first in my War of the Weres series, the second will be re-released next month, my only 3some erotic sort of book will be re-released under a new name, Luck of the Draw, also next month. I always hated the title of the old one, but love that it's been changed :D I am in edits for my Epic Fantasy, Cerisa's Quest, to be out in March, and I'm working on new stuff. I am absolutely thrilled with this. The writing is still slow, and I'm still fighting the procrastination temptation that stems from me "not being good enough" that has been instilled in me elsewhere. I can logically tell myself that I was right, that it doesn't matter, but fact is, it did and does. My success with Ulfric's re-release, though not breaking any records, is a big comfort. It has a full newly done scene, and has been re-edited, so no one should be disappointed if they buy the new one. I've added over 1k words and done a re-edit on The Midwife's Moon as well. We've also added a glossary of terms and places and peoples for the series. I'm so excited!! Again, stuff not available in the old versions. Plus, I'll be doing a War of the Weres Chronicles series. First off will be the story formally only available in an anthology, Barely There. It will be number one. I'm still writing number 2, Moriah and Kamiakin's story, but have number three finished, and number four mostly finished. I have book three of the full lengths (55k+) at 30k and cooking. So this series is about to pop!

My art is going well, and people are buying it. I have multiple collectors now, which blows my mind!
Here's a recent finished painting:

And another one (Both are Scotland :D My obsession...):


On the home front, the new schools seem to be really good for my kids. My son earned a citizenship award today! I'm so proud. :D Another son is well liked by the administration at his school, which is a relief. I've lost my grandpa. Though I haven't seen him in years due to money, I'm still distraught about it. He has my happy memories from a child before I was adopted. I had others not so bad, but he was the clearest. The other memories revolved around abuse (one family member, but the rest were from our neighborhood) so this has been a big deal for me.

Last February, I hurt my leg. I messed up my knee and shins. I'm still having pain, but feel it is finally getting better. I'm going to ask for an xray at that doctor's appointment. Last night, my husband sliced his thumb pretty badly. My son's been in a car accident, but he's fine now.

^^ a lot of that may sound bad, er, and is, but we are doing way better than before, and the future is looking good! I hope that with my renewed health that I'll be back to writing blogs like I did before. Thank you to all of you who have stayed with me while I desperately held on with both hands to my writing through sickness and depression. Things are looking up,  I'm getting published, I'm selling my art, and I'm very much excited for the future. I hope to give you more blogs and less promotional blogs in the coming year.

Thank you guys for sticking it in!! Big hugs and Happy New Year! :D

Leona

6 comments:

  1. You were one of the better editors I had. I don't think someone will ever replace you. Apparently that other publisher must think so too since I was never assigned another. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found I loved editing as much as writing :D You are definitely a cheer to read! I look forward to editing some zombies with you...

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your Pian I can relate having asthma and chronic nerve pain. Hang in there. good luck on the rereleases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm super excited! The chance to edit with my new knowledge is too exciting for words. :D I'll still miss some of the forest for the trees, but hopefully, my line editors and content editors have closed that gap.

      Delete
  3. I've always loved seeing your work. Your art is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Your support means a lot! I sure miss you on twitter LOL We had a lot of fun :D I've become more active on twitter again and look forward to talking with you over a cuppa.

      Delete